Sunday, February 8, 2015

For a Reason…



They say, “Everything happens for a reason…” 

Hell – forget themI say it.  Because it tends to be true.   

perezhilton.tumblr.com via giphy.com
Chillax, my reason-and-logic friends.  There may be no significant science to back this up, but I’m sure some survey somewhere found that people who believe this mantra tend to cope better with stress and bounce back from set backs faster.  Mind over matter.  And even if science can’t explain it (yet,) it doesn’t mean it doesn’t apply.

Take last week for example.  I was languishing in a sort of holding pattern due to TWO offers that were too good to refuse combined with fickle weather patterns and inconsistent communication (the latter of which is just the nature of the beast in this line of work.)

I developed a system.  If I hadn’t heard from casting by 6pm on any given night, I’d start a mad scramble to book work for the next day – but the next day ONLY – ensuring I’d still be available for whenever the two shows needed me.
nauthis666.tumblr.com via giphy.com

Word to the wise: this is NOT the optimum method for securing work from day to day.  Usually you want to hit the listings hard and early in the day to increase your chances of getting called.  But once you agree to core work, you’re walking a delicate tightrope between keeping your schedule open and still working enough days to pay your bills… which reminds me – T-Mobile – if you’re reading this, I’ll get that to you in just a couple more days…

The good news – I scored a fitting and day of work on the second series that invited me to do core work.  But then they rescheduled the second day of shooting they’d asked me to keep available, so I was on the prowl again for work on Friday.

via http://gifyoutube.com/gif/Kz2pzw (Not ACTUAL footage :) )

Luckily, as those of you who follow my Facebook page know, I got a super fun spot on a night shoot riding a bicycle (through some slush!) because of my excessively Western European roots ;)

But something more came from that night.  Since my bike came from the same side of camera as a little Smart Car that ‘crossed frame’ a little bit after me, I holed up inside said Smart Car between takes.

Turns out the driver of that car is working on putting together a SAG New Media Project, that will enable all the main non-union actors to become eligible for SAG (Union) Membership… but she just needed a writer.  Oh where, oh where was she possibly going to find a writer for her SAG New Media Web Short…???
www.reddit.com via giphy.com

We had a ‘meeting’ last night down in what’s left of the East Village (another rant for another Blog…) and I must say, things are looking quite good!  I had set a goal to be SAG eligible by the middle of this month, and it’s suddenly looking very, very good indeed! 

My life has actually been a succession of miracles.  One disaster typically gives way to an opportunity that never would have come if something else hadn’t gone to $hit first.  The point is, if the non-storm two weeks ago hadn’t happened and my fitting hadn’t been postponed, I wouldn’t have been able to work core on the second show and I wouldn’t have been riding a bike in the middle of the night on Friday, so I wouldn’t have met the cool woman who needs me to write her project! 

Life is good – even when it’s been a pain in my a$$.   I just need to keep remembering that!

No comments:

Post a Comment